Thursday, April 30, 2009

I are is in London

Thirty three or so hours after leaving Melbourne I arrived this morning to massive cuddles and kisses and content in the knowledge that I will not be boarding another aircraft for a long time.

All considered though it was a very smooth trip.

No long lines or waits in customs. No delayed flights, a little turbulence but that was just as the Valium kicked in so it helped rock me to sleep. A few movies, some silly little games, a lot of Heinekin (spl). Also airline food has actually improved an awful lot since I last flew. What that basically means is that it is now fit for human consumption. AMAZING.

My flight stop was Melbourne to Sydney. Only I could drive for 10 hours to Melbourne, only to fly back to the city I've been living in for the last 5 years. Uneventful, except that I had a window seat and noone next to me.

After clearing customs I boarded one of the new Airbus 380's for the trip to LAX. It was pretty cruisy, nothing special. Set foot on American soil for the first time ever and before I knew it I was outside. No Visa, no nothing. Looked in my passport and I had a visa waiver telling me to be out of the country before the 28th of July...I think the person was too lazy to reset their stamp. Nice folks there. Some protest against swine flu...or the health care system or something. So yeah, a few hours of chain smoking and wondering what note/coin I should be using to pay for stuff and I was off again.

This time British Airways to Heathrow. Cleared customs after getting my carton of Marlboro and my bottle of Chivers and again, nice flight. Flying over the US and Canada during the day was REALLY nice. It's a beautiful country from 33,000feet. Saw the Hoover dam. Even from that high up it's impressive and the Colorado River looked gorgeous! Could see the grand canyon out of my window which was incredibly impressive. The Rocky Mountains off on the horizon with their snow capped peaks was an incredible sight to see. The further north the more amazing it got. Snow covered woodlands, frozen lakes, salt plained deserts. It was amazing.

Not long after this I went to sleep for a few hours. The girl sitting next to me might have been early 20s. Asian-American girl who managed to curl into a ball in her seat, which gave me a little extra leg room, and the bloke sitting next to her gave me his Alternative Press mag once he'd finished with it. Apparently I look punk rock or something.

After we landed I was outside the airport within about 4 minutes looking at Miranda as she had a smoke. Charged up, dropped my bags everywhere and had crowds of people gawking at us as we hugged and kissed. Was worth the million hour trek to see her again.

Tube back to the place that her and Liss have been staying. The best shower I've ever had and some lunch. Helped her move her stuff to her new place and now here we are in a coffee shop across the road, on an incredibly slow computer with a busted spacebar.

It doesn't feel real yet, but it does feel great.

Will be updating when I can again. For now. PARTY TIME IN LONDON TOWN! w000000t!

cheers
Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment